Somewhere in Between
Published by: Limitless Publishing
Publication date: November 10th 2015
Genres: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance
Alexandra McCabe is disconnected from the world, grieving the loss of her parents…
Content with studying and keeping to herself, Alex has no interest in the campus playboy, Drew Collins, trying to get close to her. But even dousing him with beer doesn’t deter the easy-going charmer, and against her better judgment, the pair fall into a reluctant friendship.
Drew is bored with college life, and Alex’s romantic rejection intrigues him…
Their friendship is good for both of them, but Drew is used to getting what he wants, and he’s tired of shallow sorority girls. He’s much more interested in the feisty redhead, but despite his growing feeling, Alex keeps him firmly in the friend zone.
Old heartaches and new tragedies deepen a complicated relationship…
Whatever life throws their way, Alex and Drew remain best friends with their own traditions. Drew is Alex’s family, her rock, and Alex keeps Drew grounded, always challenging him to better himself.
When years of buried feelings rush to the surface, they threaten to change everything…
Drew promised his mother he’d tell Alex how he feels, when the time is right-but how will he know when that is? Alex is terrified to reveal those ‘three little words’ certain Drew doesn’t feel the same, and she’ll lose the only family she has.
Should Alex and Drew open their hearts, and risk being crushed? Should they be satisfied with a deep, lifelong friendship? Or does the only chance for happiness lie…
Somewhere In Between?
“What do you mean the point?”
“I mean, this old chick trains this girl to fuck with the guy’s head and he just takes it? What a pussy!” Red just looked at me like I was crazy. “What?”
“This is not romantic.” I pointed at the screen. “This is stupid. The old hag tells him she will break his heart. She is engaged when he finds her again in New York, and he still practically begs at her feet. It’s pathetic.”
“He loves her so much that he spends his life doing everything he can to be worthy of her.”
“Why isn’t he worthy of her in the first place?” I pointed out. “He’s a nice guy.”
“It’s a gesture. He wants to prove his love. Like what your mom says.”
“That is nothing like what mom says. You fight to be the man the girl deserves after she loves you, not to make her love you. That guy is an idiot. He falls for the first girl to kiss him, and she does nothing but use him and fuck with his head.”
“Then why did you agree to watch it?”
“Gwyneth Paltrow gets naked.” I shrugged.
“So,” I tried to steer the conversation toward her date with Russell without sounding too interested, “you never told me how your date went.”
“Eh.” She shrugged.
“Eh? What does that mean?”
“It was okay, but there wasn’t really anything there. We have nothing in common.”
“Well, that’s too bad.” I tried and failed to hide my smile.
“I think it was mutual anyway. He hasn’t called me, so no big deal.”
I told that son of a bitch to stay away from her. Looks like he heard my warning loud and clear. “I’m sorry, Red.”
She looked at me with a smirk on her face. “You are not.”
“I didn’t like the guy, sure, but I do want you to be happy.”
“Well then, I guess it worked out for everyone then, didn’t it?”
“Yeah, I guess so.” I chuckled.
5 STEPS FOR DEALING WITH YOUR OFFICE NEMESIS
The office jerk, every office has one. That one person whose mere presence grates on your nerves every day at work. In my novel SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN, Alex McCabe has the ultimate office nemesis, Gwen “Bitchface” Stephens. Bitchface is not only out to destroy Alex’s career, but her personal life as well.
Dealing with your office nemesis on a daily basis is something we all have to endure. Here is a few tips from me to you on how to deal with the demon spawn and maintain your sanity.
1. Keep a comeback Journal- Ever have a run in with a particularly hateful work nemesis and froze, only to think of the perfect snappy comeback a few hours too late. Write it down. Cuss that bitch a blue streak in print. It will help to ease the tension in a healthy way that won’t result in you getting fired. (NOTE: Might want to leave the hate journal at home. Keeping the evidence at work is just asking for trouble)
2. Never show fear- They smell fear and feed off your suffering so kill them with kindness. They won’t know how to respond. The office nemesis only understands bitchy, hateful actions. If buy them a cup of coffee, Say good morning with a cheerful smile. It will confuse them and make you look like a sweetheart to the boss.
3. Never complain about them during work hours- We’ve all had hard days no and again and need to vent. This is why happy hour was invented! To drink and talk shit about coworkers you don’t like. Save the bitching for the bar.
4. When in doubt document everything- Don’t bother with the he said she said argument. It never works and makes both parties look childish. When dealing with your office nemesis do so via email or text that way when they try to throw you under the bus later you have everything documented. Can’t argue if it’s in writing!
5. Never sink to their level- A toxic work environment isn’t good for anyone, no use adding to it. Before long the boss will catch on to the jerks hateful demeanor and take action. You don’t want the jerk to take you down with them.
Well I hope this helps you deal with your office nemesis. Don’t forget to pick up a copy of SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN to see how Alex deals with her office nemesis.
Samatha “Sam” Harris lives near Baltimore, Maryland with her husband David and daughter Ava. Born in Florida, she migrated north which most people agree was a little backwards. She has been an artist all of her life, a Tattoo Artist for more than ten years, and a storyteller since she was a kid.
Sam has a slightly unhealthy love for Frank Sinatra, classic movies, and Jazz and Blues music, but her first love will always be reading. From Romance, to Thrillers, to Historical Fiction and everything in between, she loves to become a part of the story. As a writer she tells the stories that she would want to read.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
a Rafflecopter giveaway